The Kollidon® CL family is the industry’s widest portfolio of super-disintegrants and dissolution enhancers. These highly functional cross-linked PVP polymers ensure that active ingredients are released from any solid dosage form at exceptionally high speed. In addition, they improve bioavailability of certain poorly soluble APIs.
The insoluble grades of Kollidon® (Crospovidone) are manufactured by a polymerization process that yields crosslinked insoluble polyvinylpyrrolidone in the form of a “popcorn” polymer. The polymerisation is performed using an aqueous system. Neither organic solvents nor radical starters are involved at any stage. Kollidon® CL is available as standard, fine, superfine and micronized grade.
The insoluble Kollidon® CL-grades possess a number of useful properties for pharmaceutical products.
- Improvement of tablet disintegration through predictable swelling without gel-formation
- Swelling properties paired with particle size distribution make the fine Kollidon® CL-grades work efficiently in fast disintegrating formulations
- In contrast to other disintegrants the Kollidon® grades improve the release and the bioavailability of drugs through complex formation
- Kollidon® grades feature selective adsorption of polyphenols by complex formation
- Kollidon® grades feature selective complex formation with some endotoxins