BASF offers a variety of matrix builders, solvents and emulsifiers suitable for suppositories.
Suppositories are an excellent dosage form for rectal and vaginal applications. Some of the advantages of suppositories include:
- The API can be rapidly absorbed through colonic or vaginal mucosal membranes
- The API is not exposed to digestive system or hepatic metabolism.
Important characteristics for suppositories include (1) hardness (for proper handling and delivery), (2) shape (for comfortable insertion and retention), (3) solubilization of drug in suppository matrix, and (4) rapid melting after application.
Suppositories can be formed from waxy matter, structured glycerine or poloxamer-based mixtures. The composition is tuned so that the suppository is solid at ambient temperature but rapidly melts at body temperature. Emulsifiers may be used to increase the solubility of the API in the suppository mass and also accelerate the dispersal of the API after the suppository melts.
- Broad range of matrix builders, solubilizers and emulsifiers for suppositories
- Extensive expertise and understanding of topical products
- Meets the highest regulatory and quality requirements
Functional excipients for suppositories include:
Learn more about our solutions for suppository formulations