Tablet binding for solid oral dosage forms – functional solutions from BASF
By holding all ingredients together, binders play a key role in making sure tablets, pellets or granules stay in shape until they reach their target. BASF offers the most comprehensive range of binders for any formulator challenge – from formulating highly sensitive drugs to establishing efficient continuous processing.
A pharma binder is what essentially holds together the ingredients of any solid oral dosage form. Whether produced using wet granulation or dry granulation, roll compaction or even direct compression, the binder ensures integrity and is crucial to stability across the formulation lifetime.
While its fundamental role is always the same, requirements towards the binder are very different – depending on the drug, other ingredients used, the targeted type of dosage form as well as the targeted production process.
All you need in binding – from BASF
- High & highest binding capacity
- Solutions for all industry processes, incl. aqueous wet binding, roll compaction, direct compression
- Low peroxide and no-peroxide solutions
Based on our 75 years of Kollidon heritage, BASF now offers a highly effective binder solution for any challenge. Our original Kollidon® 30 and its derivatives are the legacy tablet binders standard with high binding capacity. If you are looking for a dry granulation process, Kollidon® VA64 Fine and Kollidon® CL-M are the top choices. And if you are working on an active ingredient sensitive to peroxides, you can choose between using our Peroxeal-packed Kollidon grades or our multifunctional highlight and completely peroxide free Kollicoat® IR.
Avoiding peroxides in your formulation
Peroxide sensitivity is an increasing topic for pharmaceutical formulators. Many new active ingredients are prone to peroxides. In addition, the need for lifecycle management of existing drugs creates a need for new dosage forms that often come with higher exposure to oxygen.
We have worked to offer you binders with low and even no peroxide exposure at all – all depending on your formulation need
- Our signature Peroxeal packaging used for Kollidon® 25, Kollidon® 30, and Kollidon® 90F reduces peroxides to a minimum
- Kollidon® 30 LP (low peroxide) is an enhanced version of Kollidon® 30 with integrated antioxidant – further reducing the peroxide exposure, up unto the final dosage form.
- Kollicoat® IR is our latest binder highlight. Its binding capacity compares to Kollidon® 30, but has no peroxide formation at all
Discover more about binding solutions for oral solid dosage forms