Kollidon® CL-M is used as a stabilizer for oral and topical suspensions and to improve the drug release characteristics of tablets, capsules or granules. Our disintegrant with micronized particles, delivers a slight disintegration functionality when used as binder. The crosspovidone is also used as pore former in some formulations.
Kollidon® CL-M is an inert material for stabilization of oral or topical suspensions. It achieves this effect by increasing the volume of the sediment and reducing its sedimentation rate. It makes it easier to redisperse the sediment by shaking without increasing the viscosity of the dispersion; it also prevents the formulation of a cake (anticaking-effect). Cakes are difficult to redisperse in a suspension.
The insoluble grades of Kollidon® (Crospovidone) are manufactured by a polymerization process that yields crosslinked insoluble polyvinylpyrrolidone in the form of a “popcorn” polymer. The polymerisation is performed using an aqueous system. Neither organic solvents nor radical starters are involved at any stage.
Kollidon® CL-M – The suspension stabilizer
- Stabilizer for oral and topical suspensions
- Improvement of drug release characteristics of tablets, capsules and granules
- Particularily suitable for small tables, granules and pellets
- Micronized grade with finest particles
The insoluble Kollidon® CL-grades possess a number of useful properties for pharmaceutical products.
- Improvement of tablet disintegration through predictable swelling without gel-formation
- Swelling properties paired with particle size distribution make the fine Kollidon® CL-grades work efficiently in fast disintegrating formulations
- In contrast to other disintegrants the Kollidon® grades improve the release and the bioavailability of drugs through complex formation
- Kollidon® grades feature selective adsorption of polyphenols by complex formation
- Kollidon® grades feature selective complex formation with some endotoxins
- As a hydrophilic polymer Kollidon® CL-M stabilizes suspensions – due to its water adsorption properties Kollidon® grades act as stabilizers of water sensitive compounds in sold dosage forms, e.g. in vitamin formulations
|Chemical name:||Polyvinylpyrrolidone, crosslinked|
|Synonyms:||Crospovidone, crospovidonum, insoluble polyvinylpyrrolidone, crosslinked PVP.|
|Regulatory Status:||Ph. EUR, US-DMF, JP/JPE, USP/NF|
|Description:||The insoluble Kollidon® grades are supplied as fine white or almost white powders. They have a slight characteristic odor and are practically tasteless. They are insoluble in all of the usual solvents.|
Learn more about Kollidon® CL-M